My Commercial Roof Warranty Expired: What Do I Do?
If your commercial roof was installed correctly, you might not have any issues during the lifetime of your roof warranty. While your roof may be in excellent condition, it’s important to know and take action when your commercial roof warranty expires.
Roof warranties are essential to protect yourself and your building from faulty products and costly repairs. An expired roof warranty is a reminder that you have an aged roof that you need to keep in working condition.
At West Roofing Systems, our team of experts helps customers with new and existing warranties every day. But what should you do after your original roof warranty expires? In this article, we cover your options to protect your roof systems.
Renew Your Commercial Roof Warranty
When your commercial roof warranty expires, it’s recommended that you take steps to renew your warranty. A renewed roof warranty can last up to 20 years and gives you peace of mind that your roof is in a safe condition and that you are covered in the unfortunate event of a repair.
You have a few options to renew your commercial roof warranty:
- Silicone Restoration Membrane: Silicone Restoration Membrane (SRM) is a fluid applied silicone coating sprayed directly onto an existing roof system. Many facility owners choose to restore their commercial roofs rather than replace them when the warranty comes to expire. This is a smart choice that can save them money, create energy savings and renew their warranty coverage.
- Install a New Roof: If you are having troubles with your aged roof, you may want to consider installing a new roof system altogether. This is a viable option when significant damage causes the cost of repairs to come close to the cost of a full replacement. If you have two roof systems already, you will have to remove one or both roofs to install a new system.
Remain Out of Warranty
You always have the option to do nothing. You can keep your roof out of warranty and hope for the best. Some people have SPF roofs that are 15 years out of warranty and are still leak-free…so what’s the risk? You are risking a lot.
If you don’t have a warranty on your roof system, (or if you have a voided warranty on your roof system), it means that the cost for every repair and visit from a roofing contractor is coming out of pocket. While an inspection or a small repair may not cost a lot of money, if you discover a leak or major damage to your roof, it could be a significant financial hit to you or your company.
Types of Commercial Roof Warranties
- Contractor’s Workmanship Guarantee – A contractor workmanship guarantee is issued by the contractor or company that installed the roof on your facility. Workmanship warranties typically cover the cost of labor and materials for the necessary repairs and last one to ten years depending on the contractor.
- Manufacturer’s Material Warranty – A manufacturer product warranty is issued by the company that manufactures the materials used by your contractor. These warranties cover any failures or defects in the materials used and are only issued after the contractor installs the materials
- Manufacturer’s Full System Warranty – A full system warranty that is provided by the material manufacturer covers not only the material used, but it will also cover the flashings and other accessories used for the roof system. The costs for the labor to replace the materials is also included.
Protecting Your Commercial Roof System
An average roof warranty requires at least one roof inspection to be performed a year by an authorized contractor. This requirement is beneficial for the property owner and the company that issues the warranty. By enrolling for a commercial roof maintenance plan, you can proactively protect your roof from costly repairs and remain in warranty.
During the yearly inspection, the inspector will check for not only current problems but areas that could turn into problems in the future. This allows repairs to be made before they grow larger and become costly.
A good maintenance plan will go a step further; they will clean your gutters, mend your flashings and perform minor repairs for the cost of the program. Having a service team visit your roof regularly not only gives you peace of mind, but it expands your roof’s lifespan and keeps you within your warranty guidelines.
Choosing West Roofing Systems as a turnkey roofing company will provide you with highly trained teams and award-winning service. Our services are flexible and diverse; we can recoat, repair or replace your facility’s roof so that it lasts decades.