Roof coatings are a great way to renew your commercial roof systems while saving time and money for your business. When meeting with a contractor, it’s important to review all of your options before making a decision.
At West Roofing Systems, we’ve been restoring commercial roof systems to working order while saving facility owners and managers thousands of dollars in repairs and roof replacements.
In this article, we will cover what roof coatings are, the types of roof coatings, roof coating costs, and benefits.
What Are Commercial Roof Coatings?
Many facility owners choose to restore their commercial roofs rather than replace them when the warranty comes to expire. This is a smart choice that can save them money, create energy savings and renew their warranty coverage.
The best way to find out if your facility is eligible for a roof coating is to schedule for a contractor to evaluate your existing roof system. They will be able to recommend the best solution for your facility needs.
Types of Roof Coatings:
- Silicone – Silicone roof coating is elastomeric and made of silicone polymers. It’s known for the great weatherability and UV resistance to protect the roof system underneath.
- Acrylic – Acrylic roof coating is a water-based coating made with acrylic resin. If you are looking for a custom color roof coating, acrylic gives you that ability.
- Urethane – Urethane roof coating is a solvent-based coating that is becoming more popular on the roofing market. There are two types of urethane roof coatings: aromatic and aliphatic.
- Butyl – Butyl roof coating is solvent-based and serves as an excellent vapor barrier. The superior elongation and high tensile strength make it very durable without cracking.
Cost of Silicone Restoration Membrane for a Commercial Roof
If you’ve had work done on your roof, you know that it can be costly to install or repair your commercial roof. If you invest in your commercial roof, why not keep your roof maintained long-term?
For an average 20,000 sq. foot commercial roof, it will usually cost between $2.00 and $3.50 per square foot in materials and labor to install a typical Silicone Restoration Membrane System.
To get a roof coating for the right price, you will need to consider these key factors:
- Roof Repairs – Repairs before a roof coating costs between $0.70 – $1.40 per sq. foot in materials and labor.
- Powerwashing – There are two ways a contractor can power wash a commercial roof:
- Traditional Spinning Head/ Power Washer Wand – $0.20 – $0.35 per sq. foot
- Reclamation Washing – $0.30 – $0.50 per sq. foot
- Membrane Seam Repair – There are two common types of seam reinforcement.
- Polyester Mesh with Coating – $2.20 – $2.50 per sq. foot
- Self-Adhesive Tape – $4.00 – $4.50 per sq. foot
- Silicone Coating – The Silicone Roof Coating is sprayed on or roller applied over the entire surface of the roof at $1.40 – $2.50 per sq. foot
- Warranty Fees – The cost of the warranty is determined by the length of the warranty and the manufacturer.
- 10 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty – $0.07 – $0.10 per sq. foot
- 15 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty – $0.11 – $0.15 per sq. foot
Benefits of Roofing Coating
There are many benefits to applying a roof coating to your facility, here are the most popular benefits building owners are looking for:
One of the top benefits of a Silicone Restoration Membrane is the cost savings. As long as the existing roof substrate is dry and stable, no roof removal is required. In this case, we make preventative repairs to the current system and install a brand-new silicone coating that acts as a waterproof roof system over the existing substrate.
Extended Life Roof
If your roof is in relatively good condition, you can extend the life of your commercial roof by protecting it from the elements. Since the silicone is applied as a liquid, it fills in any seams, cracks or other vulnerable areas of your roof.
Reduced Energy Expenses
Silicone roof coatings are often referred to as “cool roofs” due to their ability to keep facilities cool. The bright white color reflects UV rays, saving buildings up to 35% in energy costs from not needing as much air conditioning to keep the facilities cool. Utilizing a bright white coating application reduces energy costs as part of the energy star cool roof solution.
Short Project Duration
One of the most significant issues with having work done on your facility is the interruptions to the daily functions of your building. A silicone coating projects can cut the down project duration up to 30%. This is not only more convenient, but it can also save money on labor and other considerations you would have to make (alternative parks, etc.)
Now that you know the basics about roof coating, you are ready to get your commercial roof restored! Commercial roof restoration is a great way to restore your weatherability, building protection and warranty.